My 3-week Tretinoin journey update (and here's what you need to know)

If I were to choose between makeup and skincare (which is a very hard decision to make), of course I would still choose skincare. Why? Because no amount of makeup can cover up bad skin and I want to put makeup on my face with a smooth finish. 

Plus, we all want to achieve that no makeup makeup look, right? 😉

Though I have been a skincare fanatic since I was 21, I only read the back ingredients and articles backed by science in forming my own skincare routine. And with that, came the price of me having breakouts here and there.

The latest routine I had was incorporating Some By Mi Yuja Niacin serum in the morning and The Ordinary Retinol in 0.5% at night. I was even boasting to myself like, "Job well done!"

But fate was like, "Nuh-uh!" and all hell broke loose.

My mom was so concerned about it since there were so many bumps on my face. She bought me an acne set from Dermstrata and when my pimples started to clear up a little bit (I still have a few bumps left), I started to make an online consultation with EAMC Department of Dermatology. My main concern was the small bumps on my face (which I know are not pimples) and the incorporation of tretinoin in my routine.


SO WHAT IS TRETINOIN?

In case you don't know, tretinoin is a medication used for acne and sun-damaged skin. It is also a good anti-aging agent since it is known to improve appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and dark spots.

In my case, my dermatologist prescribed me to use a glycolic soap as my face wash and incorporate tretinoin every other night. And as part of every skincare routine, wear a sunscreen which has SPF 30 and above.

My skincare routine goes like this:

NOTE: If you're expecting this routine to magically make my skin look flawless in just two weeks, then you are wrong!

I have read somewhere that it takes up to 3 to 4 months (or even a year) for your face to be completely acne-free and blemish-free so better be patient with your products and do not stress too much about the pimples. Okay? 

So without further ado, let's start! 


THE PRODUCTS USED (AND MY EXPERIENCES WITH THEM):

DermOptions Glycolic Soap


I have heard a lot about glycolic acid and that it can chemically exfoliate your skin (like a micro-peeling effect) without the harshness and at the same time treat melasma and combat previous skin problems. 

I was afraid that maybe it can be 'too drying' for my skin because some cleansers that I have tried (which contained anti-acne agents) dried up my face to the point that I can barely move it. But this soap's so mild it's like a milder version of my Kojie-san soap (but without the kojic acid, of course).

For this soap, it actually removes the dead cells while retaining my skin's moisture. I also found out that glycolic acid has antibacterial and antioxidant properties which explains why my skin has been smoother lately and it also helped even out my skin tone. And I don't know if it's just me but when I started using this, my face got a brighter (not whiter). It was like, I am glowing!


Skin1004 Madagascar Centella Ampoule

Guys, this is the only serum that I found that dried up my pimples instantly! I had used tons of centella serums before but unlike them, this serum only contains one ingredient which is 100% pure Centella Asiatica. 

Centella Asiatica is known to calm down sensitive skin and reduce skin problems. It is also one of the skincare ingredients that has been receiving the hype lately due to being an agent that suits any skin type.

Sometimes, I use it in the morning when I feel my face sting due to usage of tretinoin at night. I also use it before applying tretinoin on my face to act as a buffer and help the cream spread on my entire face and neck.


Bioré UV Water Essence SPF 50 and Sunplay Water Kids Lotion SPF60

For the first two weeks of my skincare routine, I've used the Bioré UV Water Essence SPF 50.

Actually, I have nothing against the sunscreen, except that my face stings a lot while using it. I think it's due to the alcohol ingredient. I am still using the sunscreen, but only on my body now. I replaced it with Sunplay Water Kids Lotion SPF60 which was a lot milder. 

The only downside of the Sunplay also is that it isn't fungal-acne free (just like Bioré) so I might not repurchase when I ran out.


MizuMi Smooth Cleansing Water

For my oil cleanser (aka makeup remover), I have switched from my blue Garnier micellar water to this holy grail!

FYI, MizuMi is a Thai brand known for its sunscreen but I have loved them because of their cleansing water. Unlike other micellar water products that I have tried, this one has a 5-FREE formula; meaning it is alcohol-free, fragrance-free, oil-free, paraben-free and color-free which is great because it won't trigger any of our skin issues.

I also noticed whenever I apply this on my cotton pads, the water feels a little bit sticky that you can mistake it for a micellar water infused with cleansing oil.

(I'll be talking about this cleanser a bit further on my next blog so stay tuned!)


BCP 0.025% Tretinoin Cream

For this one, I already expected my face to sting or flake off due to my experience with The Ordinary Retinol which is why it's not new for me when I have experienced the same sensitizing and itching sensation from the tretinoin cream. 

But unlike my oily experience before with The Ordinary Retinol, the BCP Tretinoin Cream has an occlusive-feel and absorbs on my skin easily which is why I don't bother with having yellow stains on my pillow anymore.

Another good thing about this product is that a little goes a long way so I don't have to get twice the normal pea size amount of product for me to spread it all over my face.

Aside from the sensitizing and itching sensation, some parts of my face have been flaking off and purging. There was a time when there were two bumps near my chin and after two days it was gone only to be replaced with a new one. But the next time around, it was on a different area.

TIP: Tretinoin should not be applied on areas around your eyes, nose, mouth and neck. If you still want to apply on those areas, mix your tretinoin with a moisturizer. Personally, I mix my tretinoin with the centella ampoule and it has worked wonders on my skin. Also, tretinoin should only be used at night.


THE 3-WEEK UPDATE:

I started my new routine from September 1, 2020 to September 21, 2020. I admit I was a bit nervous 'cause I have heard about the tretinoin purge and your skin will worsen before it gets beautiful. The only thing I am hoping is that I am not allergic with tretinoin because I am really a fan of it due to its capabilities. The same goes also with the other products that I've been using.

This is my face before I started my new routine:


Based on the picture, you can see red spots all over my face. My skin has already cleared up thanks to my previous routine but there are still few bumps here and there. My complexion's also a bit dull despite me having fair skin.

And this is my skin now after three weeks of doing my new skincare routine:

You could see that my complexion got a bit brighter (maybe due to tretinoin or glycolic soap) and some of my dark spots have already faded. I have a closed comedone below my left eye which has now turned into a dark spot and there's another near the bridge of my nose as well. 

There were also some closed comedones that have awakened already on some parts of my face but overall, my skin has never been this smooth. My mom even commented that my skin was a lot glowing than before. I tell myself not to get swayed by the comment because there is still the tretinoin purge and according to some tretinoin users, the purging stage can start either after a month or two.

Aside from relying on my new skincare routine, I have also decided to change some of my habits to further improve my skin. This includes the less intake of rice and dairy products as well as working out. There were also times that I don't munch on some M&Ms which was great because I had less pimples than before.

Another habit of mine that has changed because of this routine is my makeup look. I really love doing makeup looks at home to keep me sane during this quarantine period. Since I really prioritize having a flawless skin, I decided to forego using foundation and try out no-foundation makeup looks to enhance my features instead of covering my face up with a bunch of makeup.

For the downside that I have experienced with my new skincare routine, I really had a hard time looking for a sunscreen that is not too harsh on the skin which I have mentioned earlier. 

Sunscreen is very important in every skincare routine since it can help with hyperpigmentation. When using tretinoin, you have to carefully pick products that you can use with it. Though sunscreen is part of the AM routine and will not affect the PM routine, it is still best to pick a sunscreen that will not contribute to the stinging sensation on your face. 

For me, if my face stings more than usual, I just apply my centella ampoule to calm it down before applying my sunscreen.


THE FINAL VERDICT:

Up until now, I am still doing this skincare routine. I love that it's so simple and easy to maintain. Though there are still occasional pimples due to purging, it fades away easily and helps me maintain a youthful glow.

Aside from that, this routine helped me a lot in carefully picking out products that I use on my skin. So far, I have been keen on using products with a lot of alcohol and fragrance in the ingredient list. If you're clueless about what products you should incorporate with tretinoin, I suggest you know what ingredients work best for your skin or join FB groups that are related to tretinoin so you could gather insights from other tretinoin users.

Overall, I would still be doing this for two months and see for myself its effect on my skin.

If you want to incorporate tretinoin in your skincare routine, I would highly suggest you consult a dermatologist first to know if your skin really needs it or not.

Thank you for reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A review on MizuMi Smooth Cleansing Water (and why everybody should be raving this!)

Organic Skin Japan's tone up cream brightens up your skin tone without making you look like an 'espasol'